Rooted in our past
Since 2005, Friends of New Troy (FONT) has demonstrated its commitment to the community at large, its steadfastness in holding to a dream, and an unfailing belief in the strength of people working together. Many said it couldn’t be done, yet in 2006 FONT raised $24,000 for the deposit on what has since become the New Troy Community Center and (now separate) Township Park. Since then, FONT has raised the necessary funds to make mortgage and interest payments, repairs, and improvements, all while paying for utilities and maintenance — a total of approximately $160,000 through August 2010!
Branching out today
During the past four years, much has been accomplished by FONT through the New Troy Community Center. Our achievements include:
- Esther Steckelberg Book Room — With more than 4,000 titles, computers, Internet service, Preschool Story Hour, and in partnership with River Valley Schools, a Summer Reading Program.
- New Troy History Collection — Local historical memorabilia, including books, photos, musical instruments, and more.
- Memorial Garden — A delightful place to sit and relax. Engraved brick paths are anchored by our country’s flag and enhanced by our former school’s historic planter. This is the place to commemorate your family, friends, business, or class.
- Renewable Energy Literature Collection — includes books, magazines, and pamphlets — a treasure trove for any do-it-yourselfer.
- Winter sledding
- Community Events and Enrichment Classes — twice-monthly Indoor Flea Markets (October to March), and the annual Lighting of the Christmas Tree with carols, Santa, and treats are among some of our reoccurring events. Past events and classes have included: a renewable energy fair, gun safety classes, dance classes, summer lunch programs, and more.
- Special Assistance Services to Community — retired social worker Dr. Michael Pries has directed numerous individuals and families to a variety of services including home heating assistance.
The Community Center also provides space for community service programs and events, including:
- Free tax preparation services
- Facilities for family memorial services, reunions, showers, and more
- Classroom space for Head Start (32 children served annually since 2008)
- Apple Cider Century (volunteers and facilities for sag stop)
Also, the new Weesaw Township Park would not have been possible without Friends of New Troy.
In 2010, FONT sold 8.5 acres of land adjoining the Community Center to Weesaw Township to be used as a township park. FONT members were instrumental in helping the Township receive a $51,988 Land Acquisition Grant from the State of Michigan for the purchase, with the result that the Township took possession of an 8.5 acre park in the center of town for the remarkably low expenditure of $23,422.
From 2006 to 2010, FONT members raised approximately $22,500 to pay for the interest on this property, and FONT members mowed and otherwise maintained the property until the Township Board was ready to commit to the purchase and take possession.
Thriving into the future
As you may have expected from our brief four-year history, FONT has BIG dreams for the future. Can we do it?
Absolutely. All we need is your support.